s/qmail (Version 3.x)
- s/qmail will be available in Dan Bernstein's package format, usually invoked by Daemontools.
- s/qmail provides TLS support based on the ucspi-ssl package.
- SMTP Authentitication, Anti-Spam, and Anti-Virus features are supported out-of-the-box.
- Recipient and MAV capabilities in addition with powerful filters for SMTP envelope addresses are provided.
- Scalable and reliable mail delivery is guaranteed by means of QMQ.
- Native IPv6 support.
- Set of own DNS libraries instad of libresolv.
- MRTG analysis and automated logfile processing.
Note: s/qmail provides a SPF hook, but does not support it directly. DKIM is still under investigation.
The software is due in 2015.
I've started integration of IPv6 into Spamcontrol. The following resources are available:
- Kazunori Fujiwara's initial IPv6 work
- Felix von Leitner's IPv6 patch
- IPv6 adoption from Tom Spier
- Robert Sander's IPv6 extensions for Spamcontrol
s/qmail will provide additionally the TLS-secured protocol QMTPS
to couple several s/qmail instances and distributed queues among different nodes.
IANA has now assigned port 6209 for QMTPS.
What I'm aiming for:
Communication and security features:
- Full IPv6 compliance: Allow specific IPv6 bindings to any IPv6 address (even LLU) for all clients (qmail-remote, qmail-smtpam, qmail-qmqpc).
- TLS enabling of all servers and particular clients for all protocols.
- Distributed queueing: n:1, 1:n n:m with qualified authorization (enhanced 'QMQ').
- X.509 certificate pinning.
- Easy installation and maintenance by means of slashpackage installation.
- Compliance with AMD64 architecture and current 'C' standards.
- Drop-in replacement for qmail (same interface; same API).
- Same user accounts; same module names.
- Easy integration into Daemontools and - perhaps - systemd.
- Integrated qmail-mrtg module and qmail-authuser (was: cmd5checkpwd).
Development state of s/qmail (May 2015):
|qmail-smtpd||SMTP, SMTPS||with ucspi-tcp/ucspi-ssl||with ucspi-tcp6/ucspi-ssl-0.9x||✓ ucspi-ssl-0.9x||STARTTLS|
|qmail-qmtpd||QMTP||with ucspi-tcp/ucspi-ssl||with ucspi-tcp6/ucspi-ssl-0.9x||✓ ucspi-ssl-0.9x||n/a|
|qmail-qmqpd||QMTP||with ucspi-tcp/ucspi-ssl||with ucspi-tcp6/ucspi-ssl-0.9x||no plans||n/a|
|qmail-pop3d||POP3, POP3S||with ucspi-tcp/ucspi-ssl||with ucspi-tcp6/ucspi-ssl-0.9x||✓ ucspi-ssl-0.9x||STLS|
|qmail-remote*)||SMTP, SMTPS, QMTP||✓||✓||✓||STARTTLS|
|ipmeprint||n/a||✓||✓ (Linux not working)||n/a||n/a|
Note: The checkmark (✓) means 'integrated' but not necessarily fully tested.
I'm close to provide an integrated alpha-version. Tailoring s/qmail for the slashpackage convention is mostly done, but needs some fine tuning still.
Beta testers wanted:
If you are willing to support s/qmail's development, I would be glad to receive an email telling you are able to do some beta-testing. In particular, I'm eager to provide support for Unix systems outside BSD and Linux.